Sunday, August 3, 2008

a Russian wedding


Todays wedding cake adventure involved driving out past Anchor Point to the Russian village of Nikolavesk. The cake was for a wedding that was supposedly going to be filmed by the Today Show. While we didn't see a camera crew, we did enjoy meeting the bridesmaids in their lovely traditional dresses, who were also apparently responsible for serving the food, as they were all there preparing while the rest of the wedding party was still at the church. The community here is very private and outsiders are only welcome if invited by someone in the village. Since I had such an official reason for being there, I decided to bring along John and his visiting mom to see it. While I was setting up the cake John quickly ingratiated himself to our hosts and was off on a tour of the yard and gardens...I tracked him down photographing these gals, telling them how beautiful they look...he's such a charmer, maybe I should marry him, oh wait, I already did! Lucky me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that lovely and yummy wedding cake...

Anonymous said...

Wow!i wondering your wedding cake.It's very nice.

Anonymous said...

Very nice wedding picture.I am impressed now...

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering what all kind of foods are typically served at traditional russian weddings? I think it would be interesting to know! If you could e-mail me agwhitlock1@catamount.wcu.edu I would greatly appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to be such a troll, but as soon as I saw Ruhlman's link to your website, I had to see if you had any reference to Old Believers. I used to be one! Those Russian ladies are adorable! Go Nikolaevsk!

Unknown said...

enjoyable post on an significant topic. But I find it sad to read, how full of internalized racism the arguments of the METIS-woman herself are. Apart from depicting Africa as if it was a country, she also feeds into the racist stereotypes of all African men being polygamous, wanting to reproduce themselves and having numerous lovers at the side... she might be right with her point, that the white mothers are to naive and don’t know anything about their black partners and their culture - but I wonder if one can fight that problem by reproducing stereotypes.