Sunday, September 27, 2009

Live Blogging Sunday morning...


I'm not a big fan of working Sundays. Lucky for me I had them off all summer. But now that fall is here and we have experienced 'the great leaving' We are faced with having to all give a little where we hadn't before and my contribution is Sunday...(oh, all right!) Here we are only open from 9 am to 2pm, but can pull in as much as we do on a full 11 hour day. (hopefully this answers the obvious question of "why in the hell are we even doing this!)
It's 4:54 am- first things first...Coffee americano. short. with a little steamed 1/2 and 1/2...ok, and a splash of Carolans if we have some (it is...may I remind you, Sunday!)
Time to mix the white Trash for sticky buns and chocolate bread...back in a minute!
on the radio- (quietly, cause we have B&B guests upstairs!)...BBC on NPR is always a whole different view on the world!
5:10 am-Sourdough mixed for bagels and a few baguettes, sipping my coffee and making my list for the day...room 1 needs turning over, the planter boxes pullled, mats washed and kitchen floor scrubbed, suddenly the ice falling in the ice machine startles me. Last week at this time I had a banged up, very drunk dude knocking on my door desperately seeking his girlfriend...I called the poor guy a cab and made him a strong cup of coffee...hoping today the only drunk here is me! (just kidding, we are totally out of Carolans!)
5:42 am- Dry mix for Scones and Biscuits done, sticky goo made and poured into prepped pans...still waiting on rising dough so I check notes from yesterday. Oh Yeah, Sharon and crew had a crazy day. Wind storm blew down our Farmers Market Booth, so Sharon had to run out and take it down in the middle of the busy retail day...boy, it's always something! There was also a big gathering at the beach next door...something about a bunch of people lying on the sand at low tide to form the shape of a salmon in order to bring attention to climate change...(really, you gotta love this town!) All the cars and people walking around just added to the frantic atmosphere. No big functions in the area this morning, so hopefully they will all sleep in a little!
Time for one more cup of coffee...found some brandy...maybe just a little...and a little music, enough about the G20 summit and flooding in the phillipines, How about some Wild Colonials?
6:10- uncover the oven door...the coals, once they are spread out, shimmer with orange and red...I could stare into it all morning! The temp is just right at about 500 degrees. Time to mix muffins and quiche filling.
7:25 am- Bagels are boiling, sticky's rolled and proofing, 7 dozen white trash rolls rolled (16 minutes, in case you were wondering!) Ready for new music...Vampire Weekend anyone?
8:05 am-Scones, Biscuits, muffins all mixed and in the oven, Chocolate bread and bagels just came out...starting to smell really good in here! Danishes are all proofing, waiting their turn in the oven. Quiche is in, as are the sticky buns! (better have those ready by opening time or there will be hell to pay!) Put the IPod on Shuffle...
8:29 am - Barista's are here - Rachel and Natalia...yay! Big oven is cleaned out and all those white trash rolls are safely inside. We are ready to get the day started, doors open in 30...so I should probably go! Thanks for spending the morning with me! Next week I'm off to Clevelandia (as my friend Dan calls it) with daughter Jane to visit the family Coyle (I promised Jenny I would come have a drink with her at the Velvet Tango Room...rumor has it the Ruhlmans are joining us!) Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, here we come!

3 comments:

maya grace said...

i miss bakery mornings! i love you, hope you and janey are happy and well. i'm really good, Italy in 3 weeks! yay! love love love maya

Carri said...

Bakery mornings miss you, Maya! ...and I do too!

Anonymous said...

Enjoying Ruhlman's blog, hope you get to have a drink with him and ask him why YOU didn't win the BLT challenge? Lookout Cleveland! ~Morgan