Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pumpkin Cookies...oh my!


You can tell when things are slowing down around here... people, me included, who can't see straight because they are so busy in summer, actually get a chance to catch-up...the errant weather makes for quiet afternoons here at the bakery. The 'winter regulars' keep us entertained, and on our toes! It was one such stormy afternoon a week or so ago that I was working the counter (another sure sign of winter) when one of our w.r.'s called me over to lodge a complaint. It seems the pumpkin cookie he had gotten the day before (and had looked forward to with much anticipation, apparently!) had chocolate chips in it! Now, it's true, we have been making pumpkin cookies for a while now...only in fall, a seasonal specialty, if you will, and no, we have never to my recollection put chocolate chips in them. Frankly, I was as stunned as he was, but I assumed it was some logistical error...in no way malicious, so I assured our customer that I would get to the bottom of it and that he could be certain the next one he got would be choco chip-free. I must be clear in that he wasn't allergic to chocolate, he just didn't want it in his pumpkin cookie...ok, so, as this is happening at the bakery, Sharon, is somewhere across town shopping or something when another 'w.r.' approaches and wants to tell her that they had just had a pumpkin cookie at the bakery and it had chocolate chips in it...it was the best cookie she ever had! We laughed when we shared that story only to cry when the phone rang and it was someone who had just read our recipe in the newspaper (oh yeah, you know what for...pumpkin cookies!) and it said to cream the sugar with the butter, but the sugar was left out of the ingredients list! The paper only comes out once a week...these calls will be coming for who knows how long! Damn you pumpkin cookies...you'll be my undoing!
You can get the correct Pumkin Cookie recipe Here!

No comments: