Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The bittersweet end of berry season

 As I pulled away from the bakery this evening, a couple of girls from my son Charles' class were in the garden gigging and laughing, then I saw them spy the red raspberries still clinging to life. They picked and ate and kept on laughing. This scene made me so happy. I love berry season, when mother nature puts out her finest gems for us. Here in Homer, the best patches are wild and discovery of one gives you license to forgo most common courtesies to protect your source. We have a tiny patch of raspberries that have seeded themselves around the bakery, there isn't enough to make stuff to sell, but there are plenty for Katy and Nonah to pick and eat and giggle over.
One of the local russian farmers brought us potatoes and carrots last week and his wife handed me this cup of highbush cranberries. They are tart and very seedy, I think they will make an amazing sauce for the delta grown pork chops my husband brought home. 

Blueberries have been over for a little bit now, but while they were happening we enjoyed them every way we could. And while they were a hit on these cheesecake squares, they were also very popular on granola, too! These lovelies were delivered to us by Tree Things in our last delivery of the season.
Earlier in the week I scored some well priced, big, beautiful raspberries. Set on top of cheesecake tarts and brushed with a little malbec glaze, they are the perfect parting shot.

                                            


6 comments:

packmember said...

Beautiful raspberries. The crop in front of our place loved the rainy summer. I had to defend them against our berry-loving dog to get some for myself. They were fabulous!

Carri said...

And still they hang on, right, wintergirl? And these long sunsets have been awesome!

jenny said...

These photos are gorgeous! Did you take them or did Jake? Lovely....well and great subjects to work with. It all looks so delicious.....

Carri said...

Hey Jenny! Actually, I took them with my silly old cannon powershot. Most of the pics on here are from that. Crazy, huh? Glad you like them...they were so pretty!

laceybediz said...

So happy to stumble upon your blog... I worked across the bay at TBL-- and 2 Sisters was always, always my first stop when back in the big city!!

:)

Carri said...

Hi Lacey Nice to meet you! My friend Barb works at Mako's water taxi and told me about you, I've visited your blog as well. So glad you found us! I look forward to following your adventures. We're here whenever you need a Homer fix!