Sunday, October 5, 2014

Green tomato jam min'



Green tomatoes from our local growers, the season turns so quickly they didn't have a chance! 
So green tomato jam was on the list this week. A childhood favorite of mine that lives in the musty corners of my brain. I remember eating it and exclaiming, "this can't possibly be Green tomatoes! And I couldn't get enough. I resurrected the process as best I could with a two to one ratio of fruit to sugar by weight. Macerating them overnight in the sugar, I then cooked them with a little lemon peel and juice for about 3 hours until it was reduced and the tomatoes took on a candied quality. So different and delicious, my mind is reeling with the possibilities! 



                              But on fresh bread with lots of butter is still the best of all!

No comments: